Services > Group Therapy
Our DBT Skills Group is aimed at helping individuals who are looking to find new strategies and skills to assist them in coping with difficult situations and intense emotions. It is a 15-week open psycho-educational group. Sessions are continuously running and new participants are able to join when the group is on the mindfulness module. Each weekly session is three hours in length. The cost is $1249.
DBT skills can assist individuals who are:
- struggling with substance use, eating disordered behaviour, depression, anxiety, interpersonal relationships, emotion management, and/or borderline personality disorder
- experiencing mild to severe problems with mood swings
- having difficulties managing stress
- impulsive and engaging in high risk behaviours
- experiencing suicidal thoughts and/or self-harm behaviours
- able to commit to attending group sessions, participating in a group learning experience, and managing homework
Participants will learn:
- mindfulness skills that will help them focus their minds and increase their awareness in the present moment without judgment
- distress tolerance skills to help endure intense emotions without making the situation worse
- emotion regulation skills to identify, understand, and accept emotions, reduce vulnerabilities that can increase the emotional intensity, and work on problem solving to promote responses as opposed to impulsive reactions
- interpersonal effectiveness skills to assist in attending to relationships by setting and keeping boundaries, solving problems, and being assertive
- how to challenge their thought process and learn a more balanced perspective
- how to reduce vulnerabilities to emotionality and tolerate distressing emotions
- how to improve functioning in everyday life
Our group facilitators:
- are registered professionals that work with clients struggling with a wide variety of concerns
- have extensive experience conducting both individual and group therapy
- have intensive training in DBT
- are supervised by psychologists who have completed advanced training with Marsha Linehan
- want to empower clients towards finding a balance between acceptance and change
It is important for clients attending the DBT Skills Group to have an individual therapist who is willing to assist them in integrating the skills learned into their everyday lives. Individual therapy through Inspired Minds Wellness Centre is available upon request.
DBT Graduate Group
Anyone who has completed a DBT Skills Group knows there is a lot to learn and it can be difficult to implement all the skills into daily life. We recognize that it is beneficial to review the skills when we start to notice that we're struggling to remember what skills we're using, and what other skills might be useful in difficult situations. At Inspired Minds we offer a group to help individuals refresh their memory and review the skills in a safe environment with others who are looking to do the same thing. This group is an open format which means that participants can join the group at any time if it is deemed appropriate and beneficial. Each group consists of:
- 90 minute sessions once a week
- mindfulness exercises lead by participants to expose the group to a variety of mindfulness practices
- a review of one of the four modules with an open discussion of what the skills are, how we use them, where are you getting stuck, what's working, and what's not
- time limited check-ins to discuss participant's experience of working on the skills
We require a five week commitment to ensure that each module is covered; however, participants are welcome to remain in the group after the four weeks as long as it is beneficial to their treatment goals. The cost of this group is $60 per session.
Nutrition Support Group
Staying on track with our eating can be challenging when our lives get busy. What we eat has a significant impact on how we feel and even how we function. Often times we know what we need to be doing to get back on track, but the follow through is a little more challenging.
This is an open group intended to support participants who are struggling with implementing their nutrition goals. It will assist participants in:
- staying on track with their personal goals
- achieving optimum wellness
- getting personalized nutrition tips
- meal planning ideas
- knowing they are not alone
This group can be helpful in providing accountability and support. Because it is an open group, participants can join at any time and stay for as long as they need. There is a minimum 5-week initial commitment. The group costs $30 per week.
Depression and Anxiety Group
This psycho-educational group is aimed at teaching coping strategies to people who experience mild to moderate levels of anxiety and/or depression. We assist participants in challenging their thoughts and shifting their emotional experience primarily through the use of cognitive behavioural therapy. Other modalities have also been incorporated to provide exposure to a variety of strategies allowing clients to find what works best for them. Group sessions are 2 hours in duration and run for 8 weeks.
This group is intended for people:
- experiencing mild to moderate depression and/or anxiety symptoms
- whose symptoms impact their daily life
- willing to participate in a group learning experience and manage homework
Although individual therapy is not a requirement for attending this group, a prior assessment will be conducted to ensure that the group is suitable for each individual.
March 1st through April 5th, 2018
Thursdays from 5:30pm to 7:00pm
Introduction to DBT for Supports
March 24th & 31st, 2018
9:00a.m. - 12:00p.m
Improve Your Sleep Workshop
March 6th - 27th, 2018
5:15p.m. to 6:30p.m.
Embrace Your Body Nutrition Workshop
Monday, January 29th, 2017
6pm to 7:30pm
April 20 - 22, 2018
DBT Skills Group
Wednesdays at 5:30pm
Thursdays at 9:00am